Current Army National Guard and Army Reserve Soldiers-Simultaneous Membership Program (SMP)
SMP is a volunteer officer training program designed to increase the number of ROTC officers available for Reserve Forces Duty. It allows Cadets to drill with Army Guard or Reserve units as an officer trainee while attending college and ROTC. Cadets participate in the training and activities of the unit but are in a non-deployable status. Should the Reserve or National Guard unit deploy, and the Soldier/Cadet is contracted into the SMP ROTC program, the Soldier/Cadet will not be required to deploy.
This program is for both, Soldiers in the Army Guard or Army Reserve as well as Cadets without experience. It benefits the future officer with leadership and Reserve Component unit experience.
For an ROTC Cadet to become a participant in the SMP, an individual must:
- Be fully contracted as non-scholarship in the ROTC Advanced Course, contracted as an *MS II Cadet, or be fully contracted on a Guaranteed Reserve Forces Duty Scholarship (GRFD).
- Be eligible for enlistment in or already assigned to, an Army Natioanl Guard (ARNG) or Army Reserve (USAR) unit as an officer trainee and have completed an SMP agreement.
*Must have at max. 6 semesters remaining to be considered MSII
Benefits of the Simultaneous Membership Program:
- 100% coverage of tuition and fees for those who qualify.
- A cash bonus depending on MOS.
- Monthly stipends ranging from $300 – $500
- Drill pay at E-5 Pay Grade
- G.I. Bill benefits for those who qualify.